Brief Historical Background
The parish of St Luke the Evangelist, Christchurch grew out of the parish of St Michael & All Angels, Christchurch.
A wooden church was opened in December 1859 and consecrated in June 1869.
A Halswell Bluestone replacement building, designed by Cyril Mountfort, son of BW Mountfort, was opened on 13th October 1909.
The church had a category 2 rating from the Historic Places Trust.
The building suffered massive damage from the September 2010 and February 2011 Christchurch Earthquakes and was subsequently de-consecrated on 10th April, 2011 and demolished in October 2011. A wooden bell tower still remains on the site.