The next presentation in this series is on Wednesday, 16th September when Richard Tankersley introduces Spirituality and Indigenous Culture, in the context of modern day spirituality. Ancestry, spirit and connectedness: Making latter day sense of Christianity in the Maori world.
Welcome to St Luke’s in the City Anglican Church, Christchurch, New Zealand.
St Luke’s in the City, has been worshipping as a community and serving the people of Christchurch since 1859.
Inspired by our patron, Luke the Evangelist - who proclaimed the inclusive and loving hospitality of Christ – we provide a place for peace, prayer and contemplation and welcome everyone into our community, regardless of colour, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any other distinction.
St Luke's in the City offers regular liturgy and worship, a spirituality centre and an outreach programme to help members of the community in times of need.
St Luke’s is a place of stillness and peace, a place of prayer and contemplation for all. Life at St Luke’s is grounded in the proclamation of the Word, the celebration of the Sacraments, and caring companionship with each other.
St Luke’s in the City is a gathered community of seekers and searchers for:
- A contemplative Anglo-Catholic style of worship
- A Eucharistic focus, sense of the mystical and transcendent
- A sense of belonging to a Christ-centred family of faith
- A particular understanding of outreach to the wider community
- A desire to grow spiritually
The integrity and centrality of this worship life supports and anchors other expressions of mission and ministry in the parish.
St Luke’s is mostly an age/experience group in the second half of life that, no longer involved in establishing a place in society, can reflect on life. It is eucharistically grounded, acknowledges and values the importance of sacred space, welcomes a modern, relaxed and reverent approach to liturgy and ministry, good scholarship, collaborative leadership and inclusiveness.
St Luke’s outreach service to the community through the Community Trust includes:
- Transport for the elderly, infirm and shut-ins to medical and hospital appointments and to weekly shopping trips
- Low cost, confidential counselling
- Provision of Community meals
Our Spirituality Centre fosters growth and healing with:
- A calendar of regular events
- An ongoing relationship with The Little Brothers of Francis
- Spiritual Direction
- Christian Meditation
- Labyrinth Meditation
- Eucharist with anointing for Healing
You are welcome at St Luke’s in the City!